Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Birds > Bird Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FRESH NEST - Eco-friendly Litter for Birds!

Bird Health & Care

Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Your Profile Picture
Exclamation FRESH NEST - Eco-friendly Litter for Birds!

Rating: 5 Stars For EcoFriendliness Ease of Use, and Advantages over Competitors

Birds are one of the most fragile pets, being high affected by their environment in terms of toxins, odors, drafts, and wetness. Because of this, the type of litter you use to line your bird’s cage could be a matter of life or death. For instance, recycled newspaper has long been a favorite to line bird cages. However, if you have not checked, the ink on the paper could be made with lead which is of course dangerous. Only some media outlets use vegetable-based dyes. In addition, newspapers are not clean and harbor all sorts of bacterial and germs on them. Definitely not good for a sensitive bird.

Obviously if you are using newspapers to line your bird’s cage, you are concerned about the environment and want to “reuse-reduce-recycle” as much as possible. Fresh Nest by Green Pet is your answer.

It is a bird litter made from corn cob with some great features. It’s biodegradable and can be put in your flower bed, flushes in small quantities, or even sent to the landfill since it will disappear on its own. Organic litters may still have bacteria that could harm your pet because they are not sterilized using chemicals. So, even if you are using an organic litter, it may still be dirty. Green Pet solved this problem with its signature “PureLite” Process. According to the company this process, “breaks down the microbiological content and mold-forming agents commonly found in organic litter…[which] sanitizes a pet’s litter.”

In addition, corn cob based litters absorb from the bottom up, so your pet is no sitting in wetness. I have used corn cob litters when I worked for Petsmart and I have to agree, its works great for all types of birds. The Budgies especially liked the fact that they could pick it up and put it in their nests! And, if you really need another reason for like Fresh Nest, it is virtually dust free—according to their website, I never saw any dust at all—which is great for birds that are sensitive to that sort of thing.

SAFETY TIP – NEVER HAVE A BIRD NEAR A KITCHEN WHEN COOKING!! THE FUMES THAT COME OFF ALL OF OUR “NONSTICK PANS” CAN BE HARMFUL FOR YOUR PET!

Average Retail Price: $9.99 - $19.99 depending on size of bag

Find at Petco, Petsmart, and independents.
Learn more about Green Pet's other products for small animals at www.greenpet.com

Old 08-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Your Profile Picture

I tried to switch my birds from paper lining to a cob-based litter. Some of them, my dove in particular, seemed determined to eat it. I didn't have a grate over the litter pan to keep him from doing this. I can't be sure, but I believe he may have died from eating too much and essentially starving himself.

When changing litter, keep a grate over the new litter to discourage eating and closely observe your bird for this behavior!!

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends