Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Dogs > Dog Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog dental care

Dog Health & Care

Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Your Profile Picture
Red face Dog dental care

I just recently had my dogs teeth cleaned. According to the vet my dog should be getting her teeth brushed everyday. When in fact I was actually brushing her teeth once a week. So what is your opinion in regards to brushing a dogs teeth because I was told before that once a week was okay?

Last edited by iggyluv30 : 06-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Your Profile Picture

If you have the time and inclination, daily brushing helps keep the tartar from forming. Another helpful hint is chewing on smoked or raw bones from the pet store or supermarket. Dogs that thoughtfully chew and do not gulp or swallow are good candidates for this practice. My own dogs get fed a bone...never baked or bbq... every week. Check ou my videos on chewing and dental health at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ieNMvfpQQ. My dogs chew slowly and carefully and will never need a dental again

Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Your Profile Picture

Because my dog has a sensitive stomach I have to be careful. So brushing her teeth along with a rinse on her teeth is what we are doing regularly now. Oh and thank you for the link as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Your Profile Picture

Oh I forgot to mention to pet owners: if you do use a toothpaste for dogs/cats, use one that has active enzymes in it-the enzyes are what break down the the bad stuff on the teeth. The brand commonly seen at vet offices is called C.E.T. or ask the vet about the product. This brand also has a rinse (which I use), and dental chews to choose from. Go to www.CETDental.com to learn more about the product/s.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:33 AM
Your Profile Picture

Dog dental care is often ignored by dog owners unless the dog develops a dental problem. Routine dental care can prevent dental problems. A dogs tooth should be brushed every day.
Like humans, dogs can develop dental problems including dog dental disease and infections due to a buildup of tartar and plaque on the teeth. Dog dental disease can cause pain, especially when chewing. Regular brushing removes the plaque that causes problems.
In addition to daily brushing, the dog’s teeth should be cleaned by a veterinarian at least once a year. The veterinarian can also check for dental problems during this appointment.

Many dogs resist allowing their teeth to be brushed. If a tooth brushing is started while the dog is a puppy, there is likely to be less resistance.
Some dog dental care products are designed specifically for dogs that resist teeth brushing. Finger brushes are small toothbrushes that fit on the dog owner’s finger. They often have soft, rubber projections instead of bristles.

If a dog resists the use of a finger brush, a warm washcloth can be used to wipe the dogs teeth. After the dog learns to relax when this is done, the dog owner may be able to start using a finger brush or Childs soft toothbrush.
Dog toothpaste can be found at many pet stores and through pet supply retailers on the Internet. Toothpastes for humans can make a dog ill.
Some dog foods and dog treats are marketed as being good for dogs teeth. Many of these food products are not proven to be effective. They should not be used as an alternative to proper dog dental care. Dental dog bones and some rope toys are designed to improve the dental health of dogs. A daily tooth brushing is still recommended if these products are used.

Older dogs often develop considerable wearing down of the teeth. This may not cause any problems as it is a natural occurrence. If it becomes problematic, a veterinarian may recommend treatment.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Your Profile Picture
Default Dog Dental Care

Brushing dog's teeth everyday is actually good as it removes dirt. So, I would suggest you to do it.