Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Horses > More about Horses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Every Girls Dream

More about Horses

Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Your Profile Picture
Post Every Girls Dream

....Ok maybe not every girl, but I've certainly fantasised about having my own pony. Well in truth I am after Pegasus so we can ride along beaches and fly through clouds. I will settle for a unicorn though.

But seriously, to those in ownership of such a elegant creature, how do you afford the enormous costs and are there ways to reduce this- short of marrying Prince Charming.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default haha

Hey I'm just reading your posts - they're pretty awesome.

I agree with you - 'twas always my dream to own a horse as well, but no, there are not really ways I can see to cut down on costs ... or so my dad always told me when I begged him. His client even offered his barn for free stabling / exercise and discounts on feed, but still the price of the actual horse, vet care, training and exercise is pretty ... expensive. I mean, heck, even horse-riding lessons can empty the pockets.

If you hear of any suggestions to lessen the burden, let me know!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Your Profile Picture

I've been riding for over thirteen years. A big way people that i know lessen board and lessons is by working at the barn. I've worked at every barn I've ridden at. For kids, a lot of trainers will trade work for lessons.

For boarding, there are barns that will only charge like 100 bucks for a stall, but the catch is that you have to buy feed and shavings and things like that. Sadly, it is generally a lot cheaper to buy these things yourself but it takes a lot of time.

If you do this, there are many kids who would do the work in exchange for just riding your horse. I have done that a lot. I cleaned stalls and took care of this woman's horses and, in return, I got to ride them and take them to shows and stuff.

Sadly, the saying is true: "The best way to make money with horses is to start with more money." People will pay crazy amounts for a horse. I know a girl who picks up horses for a couple hundred at slaughter auctions and with a little work they are wonderful.

Hope that was helpful.